I've been trying to astral project recently as well. I'm almost done reading Astral Projection and the Nature of Reality by John Magnus
I've been trying a different technique and although I haven't been able to AP I've noticed each time I honestly try, I have very intense dreams that I can remember in great detail.
I think it's just practice makes perfect, just don't stop trying! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif
I'm gonna check out the rope technique and see what happens for me
This is John Magnus method if you are interested:(this is paraphrased, I don't have enough space to quote the author)
1. Make sure to turn off your alarm clock and make sure no one/thing wakes you in the morning or during sleep. Might have to tell family/friends to not wake you up.
2. Forget about anything you have to do the next day, work, errands, friends, etc., release your stress. You may find it helpful to meditate before going to bed.
3. Lie down in bed (preferably alone, someone in bed with you may touch you during sleep, possibly causing you to snap back to the physical body) and tell yourself "I WILL AP tonight". (Apparently the subconscious will take orders from the conscious in this way)
4. Think to yourself as you lay in bed that you intend to transfer your consciousness from your physical body to your astral body, and just let everything sink in for a moment.
5.***** This is the bulk of the technique here- Visualize yourself standing in an open field. Visualize the field as vividly as possible, feel the grass on your feet, the sun on your skin and wind blowing around you. Say again that you intend to temporarily leave your physical body. Keep visualizing and imagining everything as real as possible. Keep doing this as you fall asleep. If you wake up in the night just continue visualizing as you fall back asleep.
6. "Close to dawn you will wake up in a fuzzy, floating state of mind. It may feel as if your mind is unsynchronized with the body, as if the mind can't gain command over the body"
"Continue to visualize and allow yourself to drop a little closer - but not all the way- to sleep. The floating sensation increases. You will receive a distinct signal from the body that says it is ready to release you. Apply an exit technique. For example, push your right shoulder forward to get momentum to roll out of your body. Since the physical body is already asleep, your semi-physical shoulder will move instead. Your awareness will roll inside the body for a second, and then eject from the body on the left side. If that does not work, push your left shoulder forward instead and roll out to the right side. Have a nice time in the astral."
The rolling is just as it sounds, while lying just turn your shoulder in to roll over like a log out of your body- Be careful! I rolled over in my physical body and rolled right out of bed, hit the floor knees and head first- great way to start the day (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif
Good luck! and post again if you have any success or interesting experiences